Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Checking Out Materials
- A Lamar faculty, or staff photo ID is required to check out materials and to use the computer lab.
- A LSCPA ID will enable you to check out materials at all Lamar Libraries and the Port Arthur Public Library (regardless of where you reside).
- Faculty/staff check-outs are for one semester, with the exception of "Best Sellers" and DVDs which check out for three weeks (21days) with a 5 day grace period.
- Faculty/staff may renew the same materials up to three times over the phone or on the online renewal request form.
- Reference books may be checked out.
- Fines are levied for lost materials.
- Ask a librarian
- Circulation: (409) 984-6218
Reference : (409) 984-6220 & (409) 984-6221
Computer Lab: (409) 984-6150
Services for Faculty
- Librarians offer library orientation tours and research instruction for your classes in the classroom, in the library, or both. Sessions typically last from 30 minutes to a full hour. Advance copies of research assignments and syllabi are appreciated. Please contact extension 6216 to schedule orientations or fill in the Tours/Research Schedule Form.
- Research Classes:
- Please contact Helena Gawu at (984-6216) to schedule research or fill in the Tours/Research Schedule Form to avoid conflicts with other classes already scheduled for tours or research. Students may schedule individual research time with Reference Librarians.
- Research Guides:
- Library research guides on specific topics are available for various disciplines on the library's web page. Faculty can request one for their classes.
- Computer Laboratory:
- There are 47 computers available in the lab. Software is networked and includes Word, Excel, Access, and other software requested by faculty members. The computer lab is open during the regular library hours.
- Reserve Materials:
- Faculty members may place print and non-print materials on reserve for their classes. Reserve material requests should be made as soon as possible for each semester. Please give these materials to circulation staff..
- Interlibrary Loans:
- Other books and journal articles may be ordered from libraries using the interlibrary loan service. Reference librarians will search the holdings at Gates first and then order requests through ILL if necessary. You may use the Interlibrary Form online.
- A/V Rooms:
- There are four A/V rooms available to students and faculty for private study.
- Multi-Purpose Conference Room:
- The Conference room is available to faculty and students with as much advance notice as possible. The room is equipped with audio-visual equipment, a data projector, screen, and is Internet capable.
- The Library has an archival room with different collections: Texana, Rare books, and materials on the university. Appointments must be made to view materials. Materials are not checked out, must be viewed in the library.
- Title Requests:
- The Library staff welcomes faculty requests for book orders. Print and non-print acquisitions are reviewed and orders placed. Faculty will be notified when materials are received. Existing collections, usage patterns and costs affect purchase decisions.
- Students, faculty and staff can apply for the TexShare Card to have direct access to other library materials not available at the Gates Memorial Library.
Borrowing items from another Library
If Gates Memorial Library does not have the book you want, you can search the catalogs of other libraries or use WorldCat to see if libraries nearby have it. Once you've found the book, you have several options for getting it.
- Library Card
Use (or get) a library card from the closest public library that has it. All residents of Port Arthur can get a library card from the public library in Port Arthur , you just have to have proof of residents. Usually two forms of ID with your address, one with your picture will work.
- TexShare Card
Get a TexShare card at the Circulation desk in Gates Memorial Library so you can check the book out from a nearby college. This option or Interlibraryloan (ILL) are the best options for getting articles Gates Library does not have.
- Interlibraryloan (ILL)
Gates students, faculty and staff can request a book through Interlibraryloan (ILL). This option can take the longest as the book has to come through the mail. You can also request an article through Interlibraryloan (ILL).